Prototype Product Information
Zinc-Aluminum Con-Cast Bar Stock
Zincaloy™ continuously-cast bar stock features uniform, porosity-free composition and structure. These qualities provide excellent comparison for the end-user to evaluate their final product suitability for the appropriate application. In other words, the con-cast zinc alloy products have similar mechanical properties of pressure die castings. In addition, the con-cast bars can be used to produce moderate quantities of finished zinc alloy parts.
Zincaloy™ offers a reliable resource of con-cast solid round, square and rectangular bar sizes made with commercial zinc alloys.
Commercial Zinc Alloys
Advantages of continuous-cast bars made of commercial zinc alloys include:
- Providing the end-user with reliable assessment of the die-cast part design before making commitment to production.
- Prototyping which eliminates costly retooling of the production die assembly and minimizes time lost if the parts fail.
- Scenarios where the production part fails due to defects or design, machined con-cast parts having similar die-cast properties can resolve a production crisis.
- Circumstances where the supply of die-cast parts are delayed, the machining of con-cast bars can provide a temporary solution.
- Producing low to moderate quantities of parts for sales and marketing purposes.
- Reference industry standards include ASTM B86, SAE and UNS.
Why Prototype Prior to Die-Casting?
Zincaloy™ supplies high-quality con-cast zinc alloy bar stock for prototyping. Prototyping is a very important stage in product development, by helping engineers quickly determine whether the zinc alloy parts can perform to the product design criteria.
There are many different methods to prototype for zinc die castings. Machining prototype parts from con-cast zinc bar stock is a fast and simple approach, having similar properties as zinc die castings. Other advantages of using con-cast bar stock are:
- The material is readily available for reduced lead times. * There is no mold or tooling required.
- Con-cast bar stock can be used for functional testing as well as appearance requirements such as shape, fit, and surface finish.
Zinc Alloy Properties
The following table gives the properties of Con-Cast bars compared to Die Castings. As shown, the Con-cast bar properties are similar to a die cast component, with the exception of the elongation. If the elongation is required, then a simple heat treatment of alloy ZA-12 will produce similar ductile results as Zamak 3 die castings. Heat treated ZA-12 bars are available upon request.
Shapes & Sizes
There are many sizes and shapes of con-cast bar stock available, including round bar stock diameters ranging from ¾” to 9″ and rectangular bar stock thickness starting at 5/8″. In addition, hexagonal bars and custom shapes are available upon request.
Zincaloy’s large customer base includes zinc casting companies, original equipment manufacturers, machine shops, prototyping centers and designers representing a diverse range of industrial, commercial and consumer products which incorporate zinc alloy-based components.
Some examples of these products are found in the following sectors:
- Recreational vehicles
- Computer equipment
- Tele-communication and satellite hardware
- Electronic components
- Security and lock systems
- Cabinet hardware
- Door and window hardware
- Kitchen and bathroom faucet systems
- Sports and recreational products
- Medical and dental equipment
- Industrial and consumer power tools
- Musical instruments
- Petroleum dispensing hardware
- Pneumatic and hydraulic pump systems
- Corrosion control and sacrificial anode systems
Machining Stock Applications
For small to medium volume requirements, Zincaloy’s con-cast bars are easily machined into finished parts which provide the functional properties desired by the customer for the following application examples:
- Percussion drilling systems
- Rock crusher equipment
- Pneumatic cylinder hardware
- Household appliances
- Golf putter heads
- Water treatment equipment
- Fiber optic equipment
Industries We Serve
- Automotive and Transportation
- Electronic/Computer Hardware
- Security and Lock Hardware
- Renewable Energy
- Oil and Gas
- Mining and Aggregate
- Pulp and Paper
- Forestry and Sawmill
- Farming and Agriculture
- Sports and Recreation
- Medical and Dental Equipment
- Pneumatic and Hydraulic Cylinder
- Machine Tool and Presses
Shop & Order Online
We offer different types of alloys in various shapes and sizes. Please use the below links to find out the popular products we sell. Once you place your order online we can ship on the same day depending on product availability.
Have a Custom Project?
If you have a custom part requirement, please get in touch with us and we'd be more than happy to help fulfill your requirements.